Monday, March 2, 2009

25 Things About Me

This whole 25 random things about me meme has been going around facebook and the blogs. I figured it was as good a way to kick off this blog as anything. So, here are 25 things about my relationship to food.

2009-02-12 22:30:46 -0800

1. This article is all the confirmation I need to keep eating locally. I can visit the farm where most of my food is grown; nobody is enslaved there.

2. I drink a staggering amount of tea. I have a whole shelf in my cupboard that is full of tea, and desperately needs organizing. About half the time I open the cupboard, tea falls on my head.

3. I have a mad crush on Taylor, the proprietor of The Fatted Calf. Good looking guy, covered in tattoos, and his products are totally to die for. Yum.

4. I grow my own sprouts but I always forget to eat them.

5. I keep getting turnips in my CSA box and I'm not really sure what to do with them. They're hanging out in a bag in the bottom of my crisper, and I think they might be reproducing. Turnip recipes welcome!

CIMG0346.JPG

6. I don't usually like soups. There are exceptions to this, and I really like making soup, but I never manage to eat the leftovers.

7. While I do like chocolate, I'll chose a fruit dessert over a chocolate one nearly every time.

8. I don't eat a lot of rice or potatoes. They bore me. I need to change that.

9. I love fiddley or fussy preparations or those involving repetitive tasks. It's like a meditation on what I'm cooking.

10. I absolutely adore baking sweets. Living alone, this means I give away lots of baked goods.

Giant beets

11. I derive an incredible amount of comfort from the contents of my cupboards and freezer. Just knowing what's there, and that I can throw together a great meal at any time is really reassuring.

12. I almost never eat breakfast. I love most breakfast foods, but I'm so bad at getting up in the mornings that it's all I can do to throw on some clothes and grab a cup of coffee on the way to work.

13. When things get really busy and stressful at work, I'll often spend my days off entirely in my kitchen. Cooking de-stresses me.

14. I hate zucchini with a passion. I will make it into quick-bread, but that's about it.

15. I love ratatouille. Tomatoes make the awfulness that is zucchini and eggplant completely delicious.

Photo 172.jpg

16. Getting a CSA box was the single best thing I've ever done to improve the quality and variety of my meals.

17. I am very tempted to cook my way all the way through Michael Roux's Eggs a la French Laundry at Home.

18. If I ever considered moving out of California, I'd have to seriously consider the availability of avocados at the destination. I eat them constantly.

19. My stepfather has always been an adventurous cook and eater. He's almost entirely responsible for my interest in food and cooking. I still call him for recipes and advice and to chat food all the time.

20. I'm somewhat apprehensive about cooking meat. I plan to try and work through that in 2009. I think The River Cottage Meat Book will help.

Strawberry lemonade

21. I tend to obsess about some fruit or vegetable that's in season, to the point of eating it every day for weeks. Currently, my obsession is lemons.

22. I canned for the first time last summer. Having lovely tomatoes all winter almost makes my for burning my nipple leaning over the canning pot to adjust the heat.

23. I don't actually like ice cream. It's probably related to being lactose sensitive. Ice cream and milk both upset my stomach something fierce. Cheese and yogurt are just fine, though.

24. I am a firm believer that nearly any meal is better outdoors. Sometimes I take my dinner out onto my front stairs. My neighbors look at me funny when I do that.

25. The worst part about living in an apartment is that I have nowhere to put a grill. I might have to get a hibachi and have little sidewalk barbecues. The neighbors thing I'm weird now...

carrots

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

combine #5 and #8 into a single recipe called tatties and neeps (scottish for potatoes and turnips):

http://straightfromthefarm.net/2009/01/25/potatoes-and-turnips-with-bacon-and-cream-recipe/